Mouth ulcers are painful lesions that appear in the mucous membrane of the oral cavity, particularly on the inside of the lips, cheek and tongue. They appear like red lesions with a white coating and can make simple activities, such as chewing and talking very difficult because they rub against the teeth and cause pain and inflammation.
Mouth Ulcer Causes:
Mouth ulcers are not contagious and cannot be contracted through direct contact. Some conditions that may cause mouth ulcers include:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Accidental biting of the cheek
- Constant rubbing against sharp or misaligned teeth
- Oral thrush infection
- Constant rubbing against braces or dentures
- Hormonal changes
- Deficiency of iron, folic acid and vitamins (C and B12)
- Skin diseases such as Lichen Planus, or Herpes simplex
- Irritation caused due to strong antiseptics like mouthwash
- Injury while brushing
- Syphilis infection
- Reaction to certain drugs
- Use a soft bristle toothbrush for brushing.
- Make it a habit to brush your teeth and rinse your mouth after every meal, especially at night.
- Rinse your mouth with mouthwash everyday. Also, check that the mouthwash does not contain any harsh chemicals or alcohol.
- Make sure to use dental floss at least once a day to remove plaque.
- Drink sufficient quantity of water.
- Avoid eating very hot or cold food.
- Avoid spicy food.
- Avoid eating raw vegetables and foods that contain high amount of salt or sugar.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco.
The primary treatment for mouth ulcers includes minimizing the pain until the cells in the mouth heal. Depending on the severity of the symptoms, the doctor might use coating agents for treating the ulcers. The doctor may also prescribe topical or oral painkillers if the pain is too much.
Drugs like Kenalog in Orabase are often prescribed treat mouth ulcers. Kenalog in Orabase belongs to a group of medications called corticosteroids. It provides a protective covering over the affected oral tissue, and helps relieve the pain caused by ulcers. However, you should use Kenelog in Orabase only after consulting a doctor.
These were some ways in which you can prevent mouth ulcers from becoming worse. Taking the right treatment and precautions will help treat these ulcers, and you enjoy every mouthful and satisfy your appetite without worrying about the pain.